Wednesday, August 15, 2012

From the Mouths of Babes

The 3 yr old was sitting in my lap while I watched a movie yesterday, and this conversation happened:

3 yr old: Mom? Do frogs wear hats?

Me: *laughing* What do you think? Do you think they wear hats?
3 yr old: No! Because, when they jump in the puddles, it gonna come off! *then he made a swishing sound and motion like a hat was whisked away from his head*
Me: Of course, that makes sense. Well if frogs don't wear hats, do they wear shoes?
3 yr old: *gasp* No! They don't! When they go to jump in the water, and go down, down, down, the shoes will slip off.
Me: I guess you're right. Do they wear clothes?

*At this point I went back to watching my movie, because, ya know, I can multitask*

3 yr old: MOM! You're not listening to me! *Sad and very hunched over*
Me: Yes I am! Of course I am! I heard you say that the frogs don't wear clothes because they will slip off when they go to jump in a puddle.
3 yr old: Nuh uh! You were watching your show, and not looking at me! You are not listening!
Me: *As apologetic as I could* I'm so sorry! I will totally pay attention to you now.
3 yr old: Okay. So. In my game for my Leap pad, the frogs wear hats. Do frogs wear hats?
Me: .... Do you think they wear hats?.... *sigh*


Another conversation had with him was this:

3 yr old: Mom?  Can we go to Grandpa's house?
Me: Right now?  What about your sister, and daddy?  She is at school and Dad is at work?
3 yr old: Well, some one else can pick her up today.  They can.  So let's go.
Me: Like, right now?
3 yr old: Yes.  I want to go to Grandpa's house.
Me: So you're saying that you want to leave your sister and your dad behind and you and I will just go without them?
3 yr old: Yes!  I like going to Grandpa's house.  He's fun.  He calls me Grandma.  He likes to tease me.
Me: I know, but we can't really go without your sister and daddy, they would be sad if we left them.
3 yr old:  That's okay.  We can just go.
Me: But they would be really sad if we left them, and went there without them.  So we can't go.  Maybe another day we can drive there and visit Grandpa.
3 yr old: AH!  But I really want to go to Grandpa's house!
Me: Someday honey.  Someday.
3 yr old: Tomorrow?  Can we go tomorrow?

1 comment:

Grandma in NEAZ said...

I clicked on this in my fav's line instead of facebook and enjoyed the conversations from 2 years ago. Please, can EJ come visit Grandpa? AND have you started Meghan's geology studies yet?
Very fun. Journal moments for sure.