We can just tell that our sweet little baby isn’t so much of a baby anymore. Boo has always been a funny but cute little kid; she has always taken her time doing a whole bunch of things developmentally. I was a little worried when she was a baby that she was something of a late bloomer. Boo’s cousin Bedelia is almost 3 months older and was an early developer, so it was hard not to compare their developments. Bedelia was crawling at 5 or 6 months, Boo didn’t attempt it until almost 10 months. When she finally did start crawling she was racing around like a little pro just days after her first attempt. Same happened with walking, Bedelia started walking at 11 or 12 months (all these are guesses from my foggy memory, correct me if I’m wrong Dallan or Steph), but Boo didn’t start walking until 16 or 17 months, but again the day after her first steps were taken she was running, literally. I think she just sits back, watching and observing until she feels like she has figured out the exact science of whatever the task is and then attempts it with an exactness that would stun even the pros. I tell you all this to say that Boo has reached yet another milestone in her development. I think it was Jenny that told me that a few or all of her kids climbed out of their cribs at an early age. Boo has never really been a climber of anything. She just recently climbed on the table for the first time and she’s two and a half; that should’ve happened long ago, but she never showed the interest… Well not at least until two days ago. We still have Boo in a crib because she hasn’t expressed interest or had a need for a toddler bed. We have one, but we don’t use it. Two days ago Boo wasn’t in the mood to take a nap but I put her in her crib in hopes that she would calm down and sleep. As I went around the house to pick up and clean I walked by her door a couple times only hear talking, singing, calling for me, shuffling and any other sort of noise that a 2-year might make. Bo soon arrived home from work and jumped in the shower and I was starting to make dinner when there was a knock at the door, only not the front door. Boo had somehow climbed out of her crib and was knocking on her door to be let out. I was amazed that we didn’t hear crying from the possible fall, but I guess she didn’t fall. I put her back in the crib in hopes of her showing me how she had escaped her prison of white and sure enough she scaled it likes she scales the bathtub (that’s a new trick she has recently figured out and mastered as well). I didn’t think to grab my camera in time for the first display of her new talent and by the time I had grabbed it and made her try it again she was less than cooperative. Since she was no longer willing to try it, I was thinking that maybe she wouldn’t be interested in it anymore. Yesterday she waited for me to get her in the morning and for her nap so I thought we were safe from her breakouts. This morning was a different story, she lost patience and climbed out to come join me in my bed. So with the new escape artist in house I guess its time to switch to a toddler bed. Any suggestions to keeping your child in their bed for naps and bedtime?
2 comments:
Duct tape.
With JuJu, we used a sticker chart, if she didn't get out of bed, her reward was a sticker. That worked well enough. With Lucille, we didn't have to do anything. She just stayed. Hmmm... Guess we're amazing parents. ha!
I think we talked to both of them about what a special, big girl bed this is, and if she wants to sleep in the big girl bed, she has to act like a big girl and stay in bed. Otherwise we'd put her back in the crib (or so we threatened--there was no way I wanted to get the crib out and set it up again!!)
Another we've done (I think we learned it on Supernanny) was to just take their hand and lead them back to bed without saying a THING (b/c some kids thrive on negative attention).
Thanks for letting me write my soap box blog in your comments! :)
Laura's comment sounds good to me. We put the side down on the crib, some time when the kiddo was over a year and they climbed in and out. Putting them in a regular bed after that was not an issue. Besides, Boo is one that wants to go to bed when she is tired. She will probably do just fine in a regular bed.
Evan wanted OUT when he was just over a year old.
Aren't kids a fun adventure in NEAZ?
Post a Comment