HELP! We are starting to potty train and I'm already frustrated/overwhelmed/crazy about it. Boo gets the general idea because her friend and cousin are potty trained, but she doesn't quite get it. Any suggestions? I just kind of thought she'd one day just do it like she's done everything else, but I don't think that's how it going to work this time. She is really excited about wearing "UNDERPANTS!" (as she quotes from Madagascar), but she has yet to actually "go" in the potty. So, from all you other parents, any help? My real question is, how do you not show frustration or anger when they have an accident? I'm at a loss...
6 comments:
Aah-the super-fun potty training stage. I don't envy you one bit. My philosophy has become: diapers are so much easier than the stress of accidents!
With JuJu, we tried too early, during too many adjustments (moving, new baby) and it took a year to potty train her. Finally, we backed off for several months, tried not to mention it (ha ha) and then had her set a date that she wanted to start wearing her underwear. That worked! (She was 3 years and 3 months by then)
With Lucille, we told her we weren't going to potty train her until she was three, so she basically potty-trained herself when she was 2 years and 9 months. But that's just her independent personality, so it worked for her.
A couple things that people told me that helped when I was doing this: when she is ready, it will happen, almost like magic. That's how it was with Lucille. She still had a few accidents, but she was truly ready and it was so easy!
The other thing people would say: She won't go to kindergarten in diapers. So in other words, be patient, don't stress. It's not worth losing your cool over.
That said, you will probably lose your cool (hopefully not as much as I did!), and try too hard, too soon. That's what being a first-time mama is all about. Lucille reminds me all the time that "sometimes you cry when I have accidents" Yes, yes I do. Good luck!
We made an attempt with Izzy earlier this year. He started to understand what was going on in his diaper, so we thought it would be a good chance to get him potty trained. He loves "undies" and was happy to sit on the toilet and read a book. He just wouldn't go.
Now, he seems a little intimidated so we aren't pushing it too much.
I've started with Aiden about 3 times now. After about half a day I give up & put a diaper back on him. I told Steve he's gonna have to do it. I don't have the patience for it.
I'm not a parent but I have had to potty train before and it is not the most fun thing to have to do! Like everyone else will tell you just be patient. If she does have an accident it is ok but praise her heavily when she gets it right!!! The positive feedback really healped Hassan when he was potty training. So just be positive it will happen and if you need moral support you can always call!!! Good Luck!!!
Accept this for whatever optimism or pessimism you wish. No matter what age you start potty training, the child will master it at age three. You might shave a few months off into the late twos, but they will not be proficient until age three.
CALL ME!!!!!!!
Post a Comment