Tuesday, October 30, 2007

There's a First Time For Everything

If any of you know me well, you should know that I don't really have an appreciation for bugs of any kind. I don't think there is any where you can live that you can escape them; every where has there wide variety. I just so happen to live the the country of rattles snake (which I know aren't bugs but snake some in at a close second on my hate list), scorpions, and then there are the usual bees, wasps, etc. that I also don't really like. Spiders take a tie at the top along with scorpions; both creatures I could very well do without. Now, my hatred for spiders may not come close to my brother-in-law John's, but it's pretty close. I tell you this because there's a first time for everything. In the midst of moving, we are emptying our storage unit, the one we had to get to fit all our junk from our house. In order not to pay for another month we have to be out by Wednesday. This news of urgency to be out, didn't come to us until Sunday, so we didn't have time to be able to go over there during the day. You ask, "why do you need to go there during the day?" Well, IT'S DARK! And creepy things crawl in the dark! So, we arrived at our unit at about 6:30 last night, just after the sun had set. I got there about 10 minutes before Bo and opened the door but realized I couldn't really move anything until he got there so I climbed back in the car and watched TV with Boo. A little pre-story to this is that during some moving at the apartment earlier that day had resulted in finding 2 spiders that I promptly disposed of, so I was a little spidered out; I had hit my quota for the day. Anyways, back to the story; Bo soon arrived and we started to survey the unit on what to move first. In that process we discovered a spider; imagine that. My He-Man of a husband went to work and stomped it with his boot; after seeing that one we decided to look around the rest of the entry way for more spiders. Sure enough there was another, but not just any spider, this spider:
Yes, that would be a black widow. Isn't it just the creepiest spider you've ever seen? Yet again my husband goes to work. The door way to our unit is a roll back door so there is track on each side for the door to go up; this lovely spider had made her home in the hard-to-get space behind the track. So after pointing it out to me because I had never seen one before, He-Man put on his work gloves, grabbed the spider with his hand out of it's web and wrestled it until it was dead. *sigh* My Hero! Needless to say, I was very much opposed to going back in the storage unit. But with a Hungry He-Man Hero Husband, I didn't have much choice. I inspected every box I touched and everything he wanted me to situate in the truck. After he had killed the spider he told me that was number two for him today. He had seen one in a field at work and got to kill that one too. So we loaded up as much as we could in two cars and decided what to leave for the next trip. As we were situating what was left he discovered yet another black widow on the opposite side of the door in the exact same place. It's like we had two little, ugly, creepy quasi-guardians to watch over our storage unit. Should I feel blessed for this? I think not, I think they were just mooching on free rent among our storage. Unfortunately for us, the second spider wasn't reachable, so we have to go back tonight and take care of the problem. Bo said he thinks a can of WD-40 and a lighter should do the trick. So 5 spiders later, I've had all I can take!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bo said he thinks a can of WD-40 and a lighter should do the trick.

Bo hasn't changed a bit.

Anonymous said...

You are a better person that me. I wouldn't have helped at all after seeing a black widow!!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I'm not afraid of the harmless spiders, (we have a LOT here and I'm the spider killing She-ra at our house) but I draw the line at Black Widows and Hobo Spiders. Yuck! You are way braver than me for going back in there. I'd have set off a spider bomb (or a regular bomb if necessary) before I set foot in there again...

Anonymous said...

NO ONE needs a first time with black widow spiders. I believe they are the emmisaries from the deep dark recesses of the fiery realms of the adversary's nether regions along with their bunk-mates, cockroaches, but I could be exagerating a bit.
Don't use that kind of language in NE AZ

Anonymous said...

What a GREAT blog to read for Halloween. Very appropriate!
Your Halloween was probably pretty boring this year in the middle of a moving muddle in SE AZ.
It was a quiet Halloween at our house in NE AZ