Sunday, August 17, 2008

Cleaning & the Killer Bush

So as a catcher-upper, here are a couple things that have gone on lately. As I mentioned a couple of posts ago, we bought our house, so we are starting to make it our own by changing things. My first goal was to start going through the remaining boxes we still haven't unpacked and either repack with good labeling or for a better idea, get rid of the stuff! We have a shed in our backyard that housed a lot of our unpacked boxes, so we started there. We spent some time before Bo's back problem cleaning it out and pulling out all the boxes and replacing them with repacked plastic bins. Before we took on the shed, I emptied Boo's closet and went through all of the boxes with baby clothes and sorted them, packed them by size in plastic tubs and labeled the tops of them with what exactly them contained. Those got packed in the shed which opened up room in her closet to move toys in there. I took off her closet doors to make it easier to go in and out of her closet, I have a project to make curtains for a cover (thanks to Jordan for the idea). Having this stuff organized will make it easier to maneuver around to paint when we are ready. Since emptying these boxes we've have an accumulative DI pile, so this past Saturday, we loaded in into Bo's truck and trekked over to Benson to take it to the DI pod. Yeah! More free space! My next project is to de-junk our spare room (we have company coming this week, Bo's brother is coming for a visit so I'm in a crunch to get it livable). When I organized our DVD's last month, it was a nice start to getting it organized. About 4 or the boxes we took out of the shed had books in them, so those will find a home on the remaining shelves, that will free up more space. It feels good to be getting a little more organized, once I feel organized we will move onto the kitchen. We have plans to paint, re-tile and replace appliances. One step at a time.

I know I've previously showed a picture of the bush we have in our front yard, it's a beast!
So yeah, there it is... That picture it back from January. I don't find it attractive in the least bit, no offence to those whose like them. My issue with it is the fact that it houses the neighborhood cat, so it smells of cat... and I have issues with that. Besides, it's pokey and not kid friendly. So long story short, we are slowly butchering it.
Aside from what we cut, can you see how much it's grown. Again, before Bo's back problem, we cut part of one side and loaded and filled the whole back of his truck with trimmings. Slowly we'll cut it all out and start landscaping. I know we are getting to the end of the season, but we have some plans for brick work that can be done on the off season, even the edging in the back yard can be done during the winter. I am really looking for to watching the transformation. I've got a vision...

I've got more to post, but that's enough boredom for one day.

2 comments:

Katy said...

Isn't organization fun!!! I'll have to come visit and see the changes so far!!!

John and Laura said...

Ah--never-ending house projects. So fun! Not. Good luck.

You're going to hate this idea (and probably vomit at how reckless I am) but I threw away all the jewel cases for our DVD's and put all the discs into a big CD-type case that zips shut. It freed up so much room for us to put other things. I love it! Then I saved just a few jewel cases to be able to lend DVDs to people. Just another idea.