Sunday, March 30, 2008

Down With the Sippy Cup

As a break from my boring trip up north... you know you think it's boring... I wanted to post that we have broken the habit of the sippy cup! Some of you may think this isn't a big thing, but for Boo is was. We never did bottles, I didn't want to have to wash, sterilize, clean, keep all the little parts, etc... So we just didn't do them. But Boo has always gone to bed with a sippy cup since we was about 1. At first it had soy milk in it (because of her milk allergy), and after a bout with stomach flu last October/November we broke the soy milk addiction; only to have that addiction lead to a juice addiction. Since then she has still gone to bed with a sippy cup, every night. But while up north she was so tired two nights in a row that she didn't ask for juice; I took advantage of the situation. The rest of the time at my parents house she didn't really ask for a cup. Getting home was a different story, she was back in her groove and wanted her cup back. I stuck to my guns, I explained to her that she could still have juice but I wasn't giving her a sippy cup anymore and that she especially didn't need one at night. Surprisingly she reasoned with me and is okay with it. "Big girls don't use sippy cups" she tells me. So yeah for us! Now, on to breaking the plug... Any suggestions? I've tried a couple of things and they aren't working. She is über attached to her plug, so ANY help/advice would be nice. We have already made her only have it at bed times, now it's just getting rid of it for bed times.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This might sound kind of harsh, but with Izzy - we just took it away. Life was a little rough for about 2-3 days, but after that it was smooth sailing. That's what we did with the bottle, we basically skipped the sippy cup, and during the day we just didn't let him have the pacifier.

Who knows - every kid is different.

Unknown said...

I know that I am probably not one to give too much parental advice being that I don't have children...but I did have a hound dog when I lived in Tucson. When it was a puppy it would chew on all of the furniture legs, coffee tables, end tables etc. So I made a mix of habinero powder and water, then used a wash cloth and rubbed it on the base of his favorite furniture to victimize. It all stopped really fast.

I guess long story short - dip the plug into habinero sauce and then let her go for it...though now after writing this out - I take it back, may be a little too harsh for your own offspring...even if it would be a quick solution.

Burgess said...

That was funny, Fred...

And Izzy still has his bink at night to sleep with, but it's going away soon.

My mom saw on Supernanny once a fun thing to do -- you get strings and find all the pacifiers that you have and string them up a tree and tell the kid that the "binky fairy" is coming to take all the binkys away and leave them something in return. Kinda like the tooth fairy.
Worth a try.