Thursday, March 27, 2008

Mulberry Tree

My parents have a big mulberry tree in their front yard. I spent a lot of my childhood in it. I used to think of it as a house, it had different rooms - kitchen, bedrooms, entry way, backdoor. When it finally blooms in spring it has quite big leaves, it's actually very shading and full to where you could hide in it. I would hide there and watch people walk by on the sidewalk just to see if they noticed me. I think I scared my mom a couple times when she went out to get in her car, not know that I had been in the tree waiting for her. My dad was never as easily scared, I would wait for him to get home from work, but he never seemed surprised to find me up there. I had even wanted to spend the night it in a few times, I think my idea was shot down by the fact that I would probably fall and break something; an arm... or the car... It's grown a lot since I was a kid, my dad has trimmed away a couple of the rooms and new rooms have grown in other places. Boo isn't quite big enough to climb it herself, I give her a few more years and I'm sure I find her in it a lot more. She just seems the monkey type of kid who loves climbing trees. While we were there, she would've spent every free minute she had up in it, expect her mom is mean and made her come inside. I let her eat a fruit snack in it and she was just tickled pink. Because it brings her happiness I actually got a few good pictures of her up in it.

I feel nostalgic about mulberry trees in memory of my parents tree; it was a pleasant surprise to move into our house now and have four, two in both front and backyard.

5 comments:

Katy said...

It's gotta be hard to climb a tree in cowboy boots!! Ha ha! :)

Grandma in NEAZ said...

First of all, she needs climbing shoes or no shoes. Actually the first rule is: if you want to be up in the tree, you have to climb into the tree by yourself to qualify for being in the tree without adult hands to keep you there.
I have never heard you talk about the spaces in the tree, the rooms and the time you spent there - fun. My dad had an apple tree that I loved when I was young. When I went back as an adult and looked for the same branches of the tree, it had grown or changed or I had grown and it didn't look the same. I couldn't find it.

John and Laura said...

I tried climbing the tree when I was a little older and it was SOOO uncomfortable. It was a perfect "tree house" (I had one branch that I would lounge on for what seemed like hours) when I was young and still made of rubber. Such fun memories!

Carrie said...

Okay, that top pic of Boo in the tree with that cute smile on her face looks so much like a Laura or Dallin smile!

Anonymous said...

Kay,
I know you didn't really enjoy JC that much, but you even had a mulberry tree there too... in your front yard.